Contraband: It is a crime to introduce contraband. Idaho Code 18-2510 states that a person commits a crime by knowingly introducing or possessing contraband in a correctional facility. Contraband includes but is not limited to tobacco, cell phone(s) or telecommunication equipment, controlled/illegal substances, firearms or dangerous weapons, ammunition/explosives, and escape tools or devices. Violations are punishable by imprisonment of up to 5 years and/or fine of up to $10,000.
WARNING:No paper money is allowed in visiting rooms. Visitors may bring coins in clear plastic bags or debit or credit cards, if applicable, to make vending machine purchases.
- All potential visitors must complete a background check.
- All potential visitors must complete a visiting application and submit it to the institution in which the resident is housed. Addresses for all IDOC facilities can be found on each facility's visiting hours/schedule page.
- If the resident is new to the prison, visitors must wait until the resident has been classified before submitting the application so they will know which institution to send it to. Residents are NOT allowed visitors during the reception and diagnostic process. Visiting applications, visiting rules, and related forms are available for download on this page. In addition, residents can obtain and mail the forms to potential visitors.
- Visiting room staff will notify residents when the application process and background check have been completed. The process normally takes two to four weeks. Residents are responsible to notify their prospective visitor of the decision.
- Visiting hours/schedules can change because of weather and/or emergency situations. In addition, NICI has site-specific visiting rules due to its location and weather. Visitors may contact facility visiting staff at all facilities to confirm resident housing locations and corresponding visiting schedules or use our resident/client search tool.
- Staff may search any item or any visitor entering the visiting area to enforce Idaho Code 18-2510. No outside food of any kind may be brought in to include gum and candy. The only exceptions are detailed in our Visiting Rules. No pictures of any kind are allowed, including those on keychain-sized electronic picture viewers. Also, no oils, religious oils, can openers, sunglasses or documents of any kind are allowed.